Monday, March 10, 2014

What's in a name

Minerva and Carl


Good evening everyone! This weekend I got to spend some time with a very dear Aunt of mine. And it ending up making my research very difficult. I have been trying to visit with this Aunt for quite a while even though she lives only about 20 miles away we keep having a hard time getting together.

It was a lovely visit. She had many older pictures I got to bring home and make copies of inclusing this one of my Grandma Minerva and Grandpa Carl. This was their wedding day in 1939. I love how she is not wearing the traditional wedding style dress of today and how they added color to the photos.

I have a lot of information on my Grandpa and his parents. I was fortunante that someone has already done an extensive amount of research on my Grandpa's maternal side. The paternal part has been tough as my Grandpa's father stowed away on a ship to the US to avoid the military in Denmark. But this is not my biggest mystery.

That is my Grandmother. All this time I knew that her father was a step father. And then I found my Grandma's marriage certificate and found her real last name. Or so I thought! This weekend my Aunt presented me with my Grandma's birth certificate. What a blow to all of my hard work. The fathers name listed on her birth certificate is very different then the name I have done so much research on. And I have came to a dead end. I can find quite a bit of information on her step father but her real father is a huge question. Then the story, her real father got in trouble with the law and changed his name. But everything I had from the previous name also matched. It is so confusing!  Guess it will be some more late nights and some road trips to find the answers! At least it got me back into the mood to research.

~April~

No comments:

Post a Comment