Thursday, March 13, 2014

The cafe

Adam's Cafe

This is the Adam's Cafe. It was a very popular and busy place in the 30's I am told and it is somewhat entwined in our family. Up until a couple years ago I didn't know that the building still stood until the removed a sign covering the front of the building to expose the simple but noticable words "Adam's Cafe."

Now my family did not own the building or business by any means, they were too poor for that. but they worked there. Four sisters did. Guess it was a family affair. My Great Aunts Rose, Issie and Flossie all did along with my Great Grandmother Esther. It was such a popular name in our family my youngest son is named Adam.

In fact my Great Grandmother who was a widow met her second husband Felix, who everyone called Pappy there. Felix was a worker for the Union Pacific Railroad and the depot here in town is a half block away from where Adam's cafe was. At lunch time all the workers would pile in there for the usual cafe meal, then be on their way. I am not exactly sure how their story went but I would like to think it was sweet.

Around Christmas time 2013 the building went through a little bit of a transformation and soon a cute little antique store opened up. Of course I was excited to check it out. I soon became familiar with the nice lady who has the store. He parents years ago bought the building from the owners of Adam's and for many years operated a television store. Then it sold again and was a slew of small businesses from a pet store to a tattoo shop. The lady who owns it now has been working hard to restore the building though back to its original look and I am happy about it. She even has copies of all the menu's that Adam's passed on to her parents when they bought the building and gave me one. Every Thursday I stop in to see the place.


Rose, Issie and unknown men
~April~

No comments:

Post a Comment