Monday, March 3, 2014

My research

Hello all! Short post tonight. But I wanted to write about my family research. I have been dabbling in family history on and off for around six years. Up until the last two though I was just helping my Mom. She was the one who got me involved in this all.

I come from a line of women though that researched. My great aunt Florene on my Mom's side was a research genius. This was way before information was at the touch of your fingertips. She collected everything from newspaper clippings of small gatherings, graduation announcements and pictures in volume. Some family members muttered how they got annoyed about it, I think she was right on track. I envy the amount of time and energy she invested!

My Dad's sister Jeanette was also an avid researcher. All done by hand. I remember years ago for my 12th or 13th birthday she gave me a book to keep track of my family tree. I wish I could find that darn thing now! She was always telling me about things that involved our family history. I think she knew I would carry it on.

Both of these fine women have passed on but their work is not forgotten. A cousin of mine was able to publish a book due to all her research and with the vast amount of information Florene had. I am trying to find a way to carry on Jeanette's work. But it is tough sometimes. Some family members do not understand the significance it means to a researcher. I am sure though somehow she will bring all that hard work to me.

~April~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment