Thursday, February 27, 2014

A Dish That Became More!

The Ugly Wedding Gift!


Here it is! The dish that was my least favorite wedding gift ever! I became the owner of this kitchen wonder when I got married in 1999. It was a gift from one of my mother's older church friends.Now I know the lady meant well at the time  but I just made some offhand comment later to my mom that it was ugly and it went to her house for storage. Now let's put the story behind this.

I was 20. I was marrying a wild and handsome cowboy and I did not know the first thing about cooking. I could boil water and the husband's favorite meal was shake and bake pork chops with shells and cheese. Trust me, that is not a very challenging meal. I had no idea how to utilize a dish like this! Plus I knew it was secondhand and old. I was not into older things at all at that time. Fast forward 14 years to now.

This casserole dish is a common site at my house. It survived a divorce from Mr. Handsome and a marriage to Mr. Sensible and came out of hiding. It has cooked so many tuna casseroles  and other side dishes I cannot even count. And the ugly has grown on me. Cause of course when you have a family of 5 function always outweighs looks.

I have to say, out of the wedding gift I got back then, this is about the only one I remember now!

~April~

No comments:

Post a Comment